Wednesday 27 March 2013

Homemade Osso Bucco

I normally don't cook a TON of meat, but I decided I wanted to challenge myself and cook something meaty and delicious. I made Osso Bucco, and it turned out REALLY yummy. Here's the recipe:
Ingredients:
4 -6 veal shanks (wrapped with kitchen twine) 
2 carrots
2 stalks of celery
1 onion
1/2 can of tomato paste
1 large can of crushed tomatoes
1 and half cup of white wine
teaspoon of tyme 
teaspoon of rosemary
salt and pepper
2 tbsp olive oil 
2 cloves chopped garlic
handful of chopped parsely
zest of 1 lemon
bowl of flour
Season the shanks with salt and pepper, and then dredge each one in a little flour.

Add olive oil a large pot and let it heat on high. Add the shanks. You want to sear them for about 3 minutes on each side to get a nice brown colour.
Remove the shanks from the pot, and add in the onions, celery and carrots. Let this cook for a couple minutes until the veggies are softened. Stir in the tomato paste and white wine and cook for a couple more minutes
Add the crushed tomato and then add the veal shanks back to the pot. Bring to a boil for a couple minutes, then cover and cook on low for 2 hours (or until the veal shanks are tender and fall off the bone)
For the top of the shanks, I mixed the chopped garlic, lemon zest and parsley.  I served the Osso Bucco on top of mashed potatoes.

I actually impressed myself with this recipe! It was really delicious. Give it a try!

Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment