Saturday 20 April 2013

Far Niente

Far Niente is located in the business/financial district downtown on Bay street. I came for lunch recently and quickly realized this is a go to lunch spot for the business folk of Toronto. The restaurant was full shortly after it opened. Here's what I had:
Bread basket
Ranchero Tuna. Seared ahi tuna with grilled avocado, mustard greens, miso citrus salsa, futakake, kabayaki sauce. The tuna was done nicely. I enjoyed the flavour of the dish. The different textures and sauces worked well.
Charred Tartar. Chopped beef tartar, charred beef carpacio, quail eggs, toast points, apple celery root slaw. I have tried many tartars, and this one just wasn't up to par. The carpaccio should have been pounded out more thinly in my opinion. Overall, I did not enjoy this dish.
East Coast Crab. Pan roast cake of lump crab meat, lemon aioli and slaw. I really liked this crab cake. It had a beautiful flaky yet moist texture. The aioli was a perfect pair for the crab meat. 

The restaurant itself was large and had a modern classy feel. Service was pleasant, but not overly friendly or attentive. I enjoyed 2 of the 3 dishes that were brought to the table. I'm sure in terms of food, they have more great dishes to offer.  

Happy Eating!
Far Niente on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment